Tuesday, October 30, 2007

The Ghost Donkey of Gudgeonville



The Zombie Board of Canada sent me out to research reports of a haunted bridge in Gudgeonville Pennsylvania. There folks tell of a ghostly donkey braying each night. The night air filled with the chilling sounds of a poor donkey who met a cruel end at the Gudgeonville Bridge.

The story...
We camped out at the bridge hoping to photograph the ghost donkey. The crisp air smelled like autumn leaves. In the distance an owl hooted "hoo-hoo?"

Already Pickledog was fast asleep. The clouds had completely covered the moon, surrounding us in the black of night. Then suddenly my flashlight died. I flicked the switch repeatedly. Foolishly hoping the flashlight would suddenly come back to life, but something supernatural had drained the batteries. So we sat in darkness with only the sounds of the owl, and Pickledog's snoring.

Time passed. I looked at my watch it was 12:59, plus forty-five seconds. As I looked up from my watch the clouds began to clear, and as the moonlight illuminated the forest once more, my heart lifted.

My heart sank right back down, like it was trying to hide behind my stomach. The moonlights return revealed the ghost donkey standing right between us! He glowed bright green, and floated two feet in the air. The gruesome green beasts blank stare sent chills down my spine. My hands shook as I reached for my camera, but in my panic I had forgotten that Pickledog had the camera bag, and he was still fast asleep on the other side of the ghost. How could he be sleeping through this?!

The ghost donkey opened his yellow teeth releasing the saddest, most terrifying "HEE-HAW!" HEE-HAW!" Pickledog awoke. Somehow he managed to snap a picture, blinding me with the flash in the process. I staggered blindly, my eyes buzzing with white lights as the ghost's braying rang in my ears. My foot caught on something. I fell, and then everything went black.

Happy Halloween!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gudgeonville, Pa?

I ended up there on my way to
Pittsburgh. They have the thimble museum right?

great illustration.
Happy Halloween!

9:33 a.m.  
Blogger Kstyles said...

Great work. i love the ghostly effect! Very Cool!

9:24 a.m.  
Blogger mike r baker said...

I'm often haunted by a ghost burrito. I usually dispell the spook with an antacid. I wonder if this is related?

You keep upping the ante, pal! This is awesome! The background is brilliant. Superb.

1:05 p.m.  
Blogger mike r baker said...

BTW: I loved your monster tummy ache on the Monster Mash site! Can I buy a print? :)

2:00 p.m.  
Blogger Kay Aker said...

Scarifyingly goofy! Great narrative!

7:28 p.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

Really dig the story and the donkey. I have to agree with Mike, you just keep raising the bar. Both of you guys keep it up Im gonna need a footstool. Great job!!!

9:50 a.m.  
Blogger imwithsully said...

This makes me think of the Bremen Town Musicians. This is such a fun story and illustration.

8:23 p.m.  
Blogger Angela Matteson said...

Mmmm, like lime ectoplasm jello!

Great colors!

8:09 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home